Friday, July 29, 2011

Alma Park Zoo

On Saturday, July 2, we went to Alma Park Zoo. It is a childhood favorite, very family friendly, and just so fun to now take my own son to a place where I have so many good memories! Soon after arriving, Dad cooked a barbecue while we checked out a few of the animals close to the picnic area. After lunch, we walked the park and enjoyed the Baboon feeding and the then the Koala feeding. I have pictures of my brother and I when we were kids petting Koalas at this park (Should really dig those out and upload one). There is a Sun Bear exhibit at the zoo that I remember being there as long as we have been going to Alma Park. Unfortunately, today there is only one of the two bears still living. She is 32 years old, which is quite old for a Sun bear who's life expectancy is only into the 20's. Anyway, she now naps most of the time and is very rarely seen moving around, but I have great memories of her walking from side to side of the enclosure with the pigeon toed walk that Sun Bears have. And, of course, we had to get a bag of feed for the kangaroos which are in a walk through enclosure and you can pet and feed them as you walk through. It was a lovely day and nice to return to a place with great memories.

Eating a barbecue before walking through the park

The male baboon waiting for the zoo keeper

Not so sure about the furry animal

Oh, this is the animal in my books...not so scary!

Riley and Daddy hanging checking out the Kangaroos

Riley hanging with the Kangaroos

Raya, the 32 year old Sun Bear

No comments: