Saturday, September 18, 2010

Riley's Birthday - 4 Weeks Ago Today!

Saturday, August 21, 2010 - Friday night the nurse gave me an Ambien to help me sleep, which worked wonders. On Saturday morning, I woke up rested and ready to have a baby. They tested my blood again and this time we got the all clear! Our families got the hospital early and Mom began helping me get ready. Hair, makeup…I was going to look pretty when I met our baby boy or girl a few hours later. Chris was given his bunny suit and final preparations were made for me. The anesthesiologist came in to talk to me, and I was just thrilled when he walked in the room. We had taken a class earlier in the summer and had the opportunity to meet the head of O.B. anesthesiology. Being that I was terrified of having an epidural I was just over the moon the see that he was going to be my anesthesiologist that day.

The nurses informed us a few minutes before 9 that we would be going to the O.R. in just a few minutes. Our family and friends that were present surrounded us to pray and read a Bible verse over us. After a few tears and lots of hugs, we headed to the O.R. Our family headed to the waiting area where they anxiously awaited the news. Will little Baby Baker be a Boy or a Girl? And, what will his or her name be?

Within a few minutes my epidural was inserted and they began to prep me for surgery. At that point they brought Chris into the room where he sat by my side the entire time. A few minutes into the surgery I began to feel extremely nauseous. So, an anti-nausea medication was administered and I began to feel great again. Chris was pretty excited about the opportunity to see our baby enter the world. The anesthesiologist told Chris he would let him know when to stand. It felt like no time at all had passed since the doctors had started to when they told Chris to stand up and seconds later I head the first cry of our little baby. Other than hearing that first cry, one of the best moments of my life was hearing Chris say, “It’s a BOY!”

They immediately took Riley to complete all normal checks. He was doing great, weighing in at 6 lbs. and 9 oz. and 17 and ¾ inches long. He was screaming at the top of his lungs…one of the best sounds I have ever heard. They very quickly swaddled Riley and put him in my arms. That was quite a moment! After years of praying, our little miracle had finally arrived, and mom and Riley were both strong and healthy! Chris now could go and tell our family the wonderful news.

After telling the family of his arrival, Chris and Riley went back to the delivery room while the doctors completed my surgery. Shortly, I was wheeled back to the room, where Riley was placed on my chest for some skin to skin time. What a wonderful and amazingly special time! It wasn’t long before he was rooting around and showing those hunger cues. Let’s just say, Riley is a wonderful eater.

Just as we were getting ready to head to the postpartum room our family was let in to meet our special little boy! He was immediately surrounded by so much love. While in the hospital we were blessed to be surrounded by many of our family and friends.

What a wonderful experience and an answer to so many prayers. Riley…we love you little boy and feel so blessed to be your parents. The Lord could not have given us a more perfect gift!


Getting ready to go to the O.R.

First family picture

No comments: